Who is St Cuthman?

Who is St Cuthman?

St-Cuthman- Steyning-SussexSt Cuthman was an 8th century Saxon saint who settled in Steyning, and founded the first church. He is said to have been wheeling his invalid mother in a handcart when it broke. This was seen as a sign from god that he should establish a church close by.

St Cuthman is depicted in three stained glass windows in St Andrew’s and St Cuthmans’s Church in Steyning. You can see him as a shepherd, as a builder and in the one in the photo with his mother in a handcart

You can also see a modern sculpture of St Cuthman’s was made to commemorate the millennium: He is looking across the road at his church.

The Norman Church

The church built by the Normans in the late eleven hundreds was nearly twice the size of the present building. It had transepts and a much longer chancel than the present 19th century one. It also had two extra bays at the west end of the nave, where the 16th century flint chequer work tower now stands.

The earliest part that remains is that which now forms the chancel arch. The surviving bays of the nave arcade, built around 1170-1180, have truly wonderful carving on most of the arches and capitals with no shortage of the customary zigzags and scallops as well as many less conventional motifs and designs.

Read more about Steyning

Read more about the church

Norman Church in Steyning

Norman Church in Steyning

Explore Norman History!

St Andrew and St Cuthman’s Church in Steyning was built by the Normans in the 1080’s.

The size of the church is an indication of Steyning’s importance. It was a major town in early Sussex. Admire the wonderful dog toothed decoration on the Norman arches inside the church!

Go down Church Street off Steyning High Street to find this church.

Rural Steyning is 10 miles from Brighton

 

norman church steyning west sussex

St Leonards Church near Arundel

St Leonards Church near Arundel

This picture shows the beautiful church of St Leonard in South Stoke village, near Arundel, West Sussex.. It was recorded in the Domesday Book – a great land survey from 1086, commissioned by William the Conqueror – when the village was named as “Stoches”.

To find the church head for Arundel then travel down Mill Road until the road ends in a t-junction. Turn left, following the signpost to South Stoke. Go beyond the entrance to the farm and turn left with the road – the gate to the church is down a (signposted) short pathway to the right, about one hundred yards further on. Well worth finding!

South Stoke is about a half hour drive from Steyning and close to the South Downs.